Sunday, April 3, 2011

3 Favorite Recipes

CHICKEN SPINACH PASTA SALAD

I love this recipe. I don't stick to the quantities closely and add more or less of whatever I want. By the time I've added more of everything I like, there is no bowl in the house large enough for this salad. (It does make a lot. But we've never had a problem finishing it.) It's a favorite in the summer. Perfect for outdoor parties with the neighbors.


5 Cups chicken (approx 3 grilled chicken breasts)
2 Cups of grapes (I use red grapes cut in half so their easier to fork)
2 Cups celery
7 - 9 oz. pasta (I use the spirals or bow-ties and rinse immediately after cooking so it doesn't stick)
1 jar artichoke hearts
3-5 green onions chopped
1/2 c. toasted and slivered almonds

Dressing: 1/2 c. oil, 1 tsp. lemon juice, 1/4 c. sugar (I use less), 2 TBL parsley, 2 TBL white wine vinegar (I use whatever I have), 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. dried onion
Eat at room temperature



MY NEW FAVORITE TACOS
I've never been a fan of ground beef - so Taco salad/tacos etc. have never been my favorite. But I love this recipe using ground turkey and beans and my kids love it too. We've used it for taco salads, tostadas, burritos etc. (I got this recipe from Jessica Seinfeld via Oprah....)


1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 pound ground turkey
1 can crushed tomatoes
2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 can pinto beans (I use whatever I have red, kidney, black - just be sure to rinse them first)

Heat olive oil over med-high heat. Add onion and cook (3-4 min). Add turkey and cook (5-6 min). Stir in tomatoes, chili powder, salt and pepper and beans and continue to cook, stirring until heated through.

Eat with chips, tortillas, or taco shells and top with salsa, lettuce, avacado, cheese, sour cream, olives, fresh tomatoes etc.

 
CHICKEN RICE SOUP
 
Easy and so good! I like this for using left-over chicken.

2 - 4 carrots peeled and chopped
2-4 celery stalks chopped
1 onion chopped
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 c. rice (I use 1/2 c. brown and less chicken)
1 quart chicken broth
2 chicken breasts or whatever you have left-over (cook before and shred into soup)

Chop carrots, celery and onion. Heat olive oil over med-high heat. Add vegetables, pepper and paprika. Cook about 6-8 min. Add rice and cook 1-2 min until ends of rice turn translucent. Add 1 quart chicken broth and bring to boil. Add shredded chicken and cover. Serve when rice and vegetables fully cooked.

Optional: mix in a little cream cheese or sour cream when serving and a little lemon juice

No comments: