Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A week of friends



Mini-Ukraine reunion in Alpine
We started the week by going out with our good friends Paul and Leah on Monday.  They're here visiting from Washington D.C. We sent the kids to the ward party with Gma and Babu and then went to dinner and a concert with Paul and Leah.  We had Middle Eastern food at Mazza and little did we know that it was going to be a Persian themed night, but when we got to the concert at Westminster there was a Persian folk group that played.  It was actually pretty cool to see all the different kinds of instruments.  I wish they would have had seductive women dancing in veils.  That was the only thing missing from the experience.  After the Middle Eastern group finished we got to hear Bryan play Ravel in his ensamble.  We were sitting right on the front row and it was impressive.  So not only did I get to spend time with Paul and Leah, but also Desi and Bryan and Deondra and Kevin and Kimball and Joei.  We went to Iceburg afterwards and stayed up too late and ate too much junkfood.  We miss doing that all the time with the Stones! 

Tuesday was a big day - probably my biggest day ever at work.  I presented the Heber bypass study to the UDOT Director and Deputy Director.  I was nervous, but it went well.  I had prepared well and had a professional coach and everything - so I can credit her for the fact that I didn't pass out or anything.  Anyway, it felt good to get that overwith and have my boss be happy with how it went.  I considered never coming back and just leaving on a high point because I got a final version of the Wasatch Back Emerging Area Plan back from the publishers the same day.  It's probably not going to get any better for me at UDOT. 

Thursday I dropped off my final report to Clearfield Study (whew!  also a huge relief) and went to visit Angela and Co.  She's been so nice to watch my kids whenver I've had business with Clearfield City and it's been fun to have an excuse to go that far north occassionally.  Of course only Ange could watch 5 kids 3 and under and still be sane afterwards.  It's always so fun to be together though and stare in proud amazement at the insanity that has recently come into both of our lives.  (and we thought missions were hard : )

On Friday I got to relive more Ukraine memories with mission friends.  Alyona from Kharkov came to visit and I picked her up from a friend's and we went to Alpine to swim and hang out.  Sarah Morris Crane plus children Emmett and Eliza came and Anya Baryshok and baby Mia and some of Alyona's friends, Cory and Tyrell.  It was so rewarding to see Alyona again.  She was recently baptized and 16 years old when I was there.  Now she's 24 and a returned missionary!  I hope I see her again before she goes back at the end of the month for the Kiev temple dedication. 

And Saturday (after a 14 mile run with Camille and a nap) we went to a party for Kimi and Jake at Jake's parents house.  They're here visiting from Delaware and it was so fun to see Jake again.  We've seen Kimi occassionally but Jake has been burried in "bar exam" crud and that's finally over so a party was well deserved.  Baby Ellie is so cute and I'm happy that my kids just ran and played and had a blast chasing and tormenting chickens and playing with the other kids no problem until we drug them home late at night.  Hooray for James kids who can stay out late and party.  Asher and I both seem to get cranky without a bed and binki at some point, but Adelaide and Isaac just get cuter and more charming the later it gets. 

So fun to see all these long-lost friends we love so much!

1 comment:

Hizzeather said...

Great pictures! Wish we could have been there!

Congrats on your successes at work! :)